Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Lilies of the Field

Matthew 6:27-29

Amplified Bible (AMP)
27 And who of you by worrying and being anxious can add one unit of measure (cubit) to his stature or to the [a]span of his life?
28 And why should you be anxious about clothes? Consider the lilies of the field and [b]learn thoroughly how they grow; they neither toil nor spin.
29 Yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his [c]magnificence (excellence, dignity, and grace) was not arrayed like one of these.

I have a confession to make. I have too many clothes. The problem, however, is that most of it does not fit or function well. Many of the things I have don't go well with other things I have, or were just given to me and not really my style at all. So I spend a lot of time dealing with laundry piles of stuff I MIGHT wear someday. Time to change that! If I haven't worn it, no matter how much I LIKE it in theory, it needs to go! I'd like to slim down to a mix and match-able core wardrobe that I don't have to think about so much. Quality versus quantity. Function and fashion. Then organization.
As Americans, how much time do we spend dealing with our excess stuff? Renting storage spaces, buying storage containers, dealing with clutter. Living in a small house, this has always been an issue. Today is a house cleaning, recover from the vacation, clean and unpack day for me. I found my motivational scripture in 1 Chronicles 22:16. David had assembled all the materials Solomon would need to start building the temple. It was an overwhelming task, I am sure, but this is the advice David gave...
 "You’re all set—get to work! And God-speed!”
Time to get off the computer and get to work! How about you? Do you have something you have been procrastinating that you really need to tackle today?

No comments: